Sunday, June 5, 2022

Went 2+ years w/o drinking

Then flew home to visit my friends and all the old triggers came back, so I had a few drinks during my visit. But here's the thing: It was gross. I mean...it was *OK* while it was happening, but honestly it just wasnt that big a deal. And even a few drinks means a hangover at this age, which did indeed occurr. Not a debilitating one, but one nevertheless. But most importantly, I didn't beat myself up for "falling off the wagon" because i always knew this day would come. So bottom line: Went 2 years, 5 months sober during pandemic. Wasn't even tempted, really. Alcohol weakens immune system and I was paranoid about COVID anyway. But when I was fully vaxxed and flying home to CA in First Class "would you like a drink, sir?" (honestly flying in FC is the mother of all temptations) I politely said no because I wanted my first drinks to be w/ my friends. To people thinking of falling off the wagon listen up: It wasn't worth it. Honestly, you've come this far, why drink now...for who? for what? Stay strong. You've got this. For me it was more about proving to myself alcohol isnt this undefeatable beast...that I could have some drinks with friends and then stop, which i did. Had a few drinks on the flight home, and then quit before we hit Alabama air space. so my Alabama sobriety is still intact...hell going on 3 1/2 years, in fact. As I sit typing this on a beautiful Sunday in early June, I have zero desire to have a drink. For me I just physically feel better sober, so that's how I'll continue to live my life. This system might not work for everybody, but it works for me...at least in this moment. Hope this makes sense and helps at least somebody.

No comments:

Post a Comment