Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Four (4) Months Sober

On January 3rd, at the tag end of New Year's Day Weekend, I took my last drink. One of probably at least a dozen I'd had from that day. My goal was to give up drinking for a year. I'm 1/3 of the way there, with some really hard parts to come. 

I'd been mentally preparing for this day for weeks...months maybe. So when I walked out to the empty 1.75 ml Skyy Bottle sitting atop the kitchen counter the next day, I had mixed feelings. On the one hand I was excited to embark on this new lifestyle. On the other hand I knew I was going to miss my old friend, and have to suffer through the "what the hell do I do now" times of the day...usually 4:00 p.m. onward.

And sure enough, those times and hours did arrive. While I was cleaning up and getting  ready to recycle everything, I thoughtfully drained the last four (4) drops of vodka into my palette before formally chucking the bottle. After all, I had heard somewhere that quitting cold turkey was bad for you, so I'm sure those four drops gave me new kind of life.

So here it is - May 4th. Four long months without a drink. Some observations in no particular order:

1) I sleep better

2) I look healthier

3) I feel healthier

4) My clothes are looser

5) I wake up hangover-free every morning. In fact morning is usually my favourite time of the day.

6) I can drive anywhere I want...day or night. Legally.

7) I socialize less

8) I go to bars less / not at all.

9) I don't get as euphoric as those magical 20-30 minutes after knocking back my first Skyy/Soda, but I also don't get as down the next day.

10) I'm saving tons of money at the ABC Store. As in, I don't go to that depressing store anymore. Not only is alcohol wayyyyy overpriced in this part of the country (sin taxes...God help me if I smoked too). But you just feel like a loser even being inside.

11) My problems are still there. Drinking or not drinking - I'm still looking for work. Nothing comes easily or quickly at  my current pay scale. Although I'm probably appearing healthier on Skype interviews. It sucks not being able to escape my problems the way I used to though. I do miss the tonic alcohol used to provide in that capacity.

12) I make better food decisions

13) I play a *lot* more Xbox. I have a very active / anxious mind and need to be mentally challenging myself a lot. Video games have become so sophisticated since the Atari days, that it now serves as my only competitive outlet.

14) I have less tolerance for toxic people. When we were both being toxic together, it was fun. Now she just gets annoying and abusive. In fact, I think we're broken up for good. While a part of me misses her, the sober, rational part knows it's for the best.

15) I'm less active on Twitter

16) It doesn't bother me to be around people who drink. Flying home for Easter presented all kinds of triggers and habits I could've easily fallen back to, but nursing on my Smart Water got me through it. 


17) I sweat a little less...except when on the treadmill.

18) I still get mad at people/events. However I say/text/email fewer regrettable things.

This is what I can think of now. I'm sure more will come to me. In case anyone read this blog...feel free to share yours.





6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all your experiences. I think many readers will get inspired from you, that how you attempted to quit alcohol and got success. Especially thanks for sharing your observations throughout this process.

    Alcohol treatment center

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nirvan Mental Health Hospital is India's leading rehabilitation centre for drug and alcohol addiction situated in Lucknow, having one of India's highest recovery rate. Best Mental Health Hospitals | Alcohol Addiction Treatment Center

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer Bishop Counseling helps individuals, couples, families deal with emotional health, addiction & recovery, relationships, and life transitions, depression and anxiety. Licensed Mental Health Counselor Florida | Play Therapist Boca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am 4 months sober as of yesterday and I can tell you that I too am experiencing most of the positive things written above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post. Peggy Bolcoa

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're searching for one of the ideal rehab centers in the Earth, call today and talk to a counselor from BetterAddictionCare. Click here for more interesting information on Best Drug and Alcohol Detox Centers in Florida.

    ReplyDelete